It's an unusual birthday as the pandemic occurred, but on the other hand, it’s like a break for me, giving time and space to think what truly matters in life. Here 28 things I learned from one last year.
About earth: We are a part of the ecosystem
1. This pandemic is a good momentum to restart our relationship with nature and rethink our behavior.
2. Let’s start by being a more responsible human. Our small decision might have a big impact to environment.
3. Before buy an item, think wisely about the waste it will produce. Choose sustainable products or less-waste options, if possible.
4. Start planting our own food, maybe?
5. We only have one earth, let’s make it a better place for living.
About other: Live not to compare, but to make it as motivation
6. Do not control something we cannot, e.g. people’s expectation, opinion, behavior. Things we can control is only our response. (Learned a lot about stoicism from Filosofi Teras by Henry Manampiring, must-read book!)
7. Do not envy with other’s life. We never know what they have been through. What we should keep in mind is that we all have our own easy and difficult times.
8. I read it somewhere, if we feel jealous when seeing someone’s life, taking a break from social media for a while would be great.
9. And for me, I try to change the way I react: Rather than being envious, I turn it into motivation to improve myself. I learned that envy would take us nowhere while motivation could possibly bring out the best potential of ourselves.
10. Just stay on our pace, either getting married, having kids, pursuing a higher degree, obtaining a higher position, or owning a house, you name it.
About self: Explore!
11. Be happy with ourselves first.
12. And if we have more energy, please look for people around us and show support we can provide. Try to not take things for granted. And donate more.
13. We are never too old to try something new. I’ve never thought I would enjoy gardening and yoga so much.
14. There are many beautiful things the world has to offer, enjoy it, celebrate it. It often lies on small things around us we don’t realize.
15. If our plan doesn’t go as we expect, say this: Please enlarge my heart to accept things I cannot (a beautiful prayer by Haemin Sunim-Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down). Anyway, we still have other 25 plans.
Pay attention to our health from now on
16. Add veggies and fruits to our daily consumption.
17. Drink enough water. Believe me our body will be very thankful.
18. Sleep 7-8 hours per day.
19. Do exercise regularly, make our own routines (it’s very fun!). It is suggested to have a 30-minute workout every day.
20. I learned that four points above help me gain not only a healthier body but also mind.
21. Oh, one thing, please save some money (and invest). It’s important to have a healthy finance as well.
Other lessons during lockdown
22. I can’t believe that subscribing for Spotify Premium is all I need to maintain my mental health during quarantine. (and huge thanks to K-pop and K-drama which already been making me stay sane)
23. When it comes to dough, remember ATM: Air, Telur, Mentega (after mixing the dry ingredients). This is the right order to make a good dough.
24. Write, keep a journal. It might work for us to unravel the tangled thoughts inside our head. Give it a try.
25. Safety first, in all aspects.
26. Focus on people who stay, who appreciate us, who accept us for who we are.
27. And let them know what they mean to us. If you miss them, tell. If you love them, tell. Being honest is not something to be ashamed of. It’s about caring and tenderness in all of us. Go express it.
28. Just dance!
|"Skincare terbaik ya jatuh cinta" - Ali Ma'ruf|